Monday, August 24, 2009

I ♥ Faces Nostalgia




This week's theme for I Faces is Nostalgia. This is a picture taken earlier this summer at Willa Vista, my grandparents farm. Although Hope will never meet her great grandfather I can't wait to tell her all my stories of coming to visit. An early morning walk easily brings back memories of riding in my grandfather's truck, seeing the cows grazing on the hill, eating vegetables out of his garden and hearing stories of a simpler time, one room school houses and playing ball in the field.

The building in the background was once a store, can you imagine? The story was that my great grandfather ran this small country store and although it wasn't the closest one to her, my great grandmother would walk to this one where my grandfather would fill her bag with extra candy. Must have worked, here stands their fifth generation, history is an amazing thing!

The doll my little one is holding is my mom's very first Raggedy Ann doll. Special enough that it was her doll as a child even more that she has been a Raggedy Ann Collector all of her adult life. (she could fill a house with everything Raggedy Ann) Knowing this is her most beloved Raggedy Ann, the doll with a permanent smile my mom thinks is irresistible, I'm almost afraid to let my two year carry her around. But being the perfect and loving mother and grandmother that she is, she is only thrilled to see her Raggedy in photographs!

I promise I didn't plan all this nostalgia but here it is!

You can also see in color on my flickr stream.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

What a cute picture! Love the sunlight behind her! Thanks for the comment on my blog!

Tracie said...

Love how the light's making her glow! Completely like a dream...

Kim said...

Love the lighting in this image! Very pretty!

teatodtoad said...

She is so photogenic, even when she's unhappy, adorable. x

drewmark19 said...

What an awesome story! I love how you have pulled together so many nostalgic things (the location, the store and Raggedy Ann) into one gorgeous photo!

Rachel said...

Love the story behind it all - what an amazing treasure all that history is!

Love the sunlight in the photo - great capture!

emalya said...

Great post la! I love the photo and description! It warmed my heart!

Life with Kaishon said...

This picture is so beautiful! I just love it. Do you have something special worked out for this weeks theme? Kaishon's first day isn't until tomorrow.

hoganfe said...

Love this pic! What a cutie!

mary
hoganfe handmade
handbag originals

Kristi said...

What an adorable picture and I love the light! I enjoyed reading all the history behind this photo and what makes it nostalgic....priceless!